Let’s face it: The Dinner Fairy hardly ever reveals up once we want them probably the most. This, Seafoodie mates, is strictly why we love sheet pan meals! Simply throw some seafood, veggies and seasonings on a pan, pop all of it within the oven, and voilà — you’ve obtained a tremendous meal in minutes! In case you’re a fan of this save-the-moment model of cooking, you’ve obtained to take a look at our first new recipe of 2023, Sheet Pan Cod & Greens with Smashed Tomatoes and Feta. It’s simply in time for Nationwide Vitamin Month, which inspires folks to make knowledgeable meals selections and develop wholesome consuming habits. This yr’s Vitamin Month theme is “Gas for the Future,” and we are able to’t think about a tastier future than having this cooked-to-perfection cod on our plate! That includes all of the daring, Mediterranean flavors you like, this dish is delectable and super-healthy in addition.
As a rule, a seafood sheet-pan meal takes minimal effort and (due to the magic of oven-roasting) brings out the very best in every ingredient. This recipe isn’t any exception! It begins with delicate, flaky cod, a.okay.a. one of the vital versatile fish on the planet. Cod is a critical contender for any dinner, and this glorious white fish pairs deliciously with all issues Mediterranean. Topped with a drizzle of olive oil, oregano and a beneficiant sprinkling of crumbled feta, it roasts alongside a vivacious veggie medley — we’re a fan of this mix of broccoli florets, zucchini and yellow squash, however you may substitute any quick-cooking veggies that float your boat — and a few garlicky cherry tomatoes.
Then comes the actually enjoyable half: the smashing! After a couple of minutes of oven time, these tangy tomatoes are able to bust out of their skins. A fork or potato masher will get the job achieved, remodeling the attractive, purple globes into a lightweight and savory sauce. Add just a few briny olives, recent, chopped basil and a squeeze of lemon for an additional infusion of Mediterranean taste.
Now, we mentioned this dish was good for you, too, and we meant it! Cod is one in every of our favourite sources of lean protein — providing as a lot as 20 grams in a 3-ounce serving — in addition to B nutritional vitamins and selenium, which assist enhance your vitality and assist metabolism and immunity (amongst different issues!). By including some heart-healthy olive oil and fiber-rich veggies to the combo, we’re additionally bringing loads of different vitamins and antioxidants to the desk. Speak about gas for the longer term!
It’s laborious to overstate how a lot we love this dish! Who wants culinary fairy mud when you have got a recipe like this one?
Sheet Pan Cod & Greens with Smashed Tomatoes and Feta
Prep time: quarter-hour
Cook dinner time: 20 minutes
Complete time: 35 minutes
- 1½- to 2-pounds cod, reduce into 4 fillets
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into ½-inch-thick rounds
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced into ½-inch-thick rounds
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning or dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
- 1 lemon, halved (use juice of 1 half, slice different half for garnish)
- ½ cup Kalamata olives (optionally available)
- ¼ cup basil leaves, torn (optionally available)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line an 18” x 13” baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Place the cod on one finish of the sheet pan and tomatoes and garlic on the opposite. Then organize the zucchini, squash and broccoli in between and across the cod and tomatoes. Drizzle fish and greens evenly with olive oil; then sprinkle with seasoning or oregano, salt and pepper evenly over all the pan. Then, high cod and greens (not tomatoes) with feta.
- Bake for 15 to twenty minutes or till greens and feta are golden and fish is cooked via, opaque and flakes simply with a fork. Utilizing a fork or potato masher, smash the tomatoes to pop open and juice runs onto pan.
- Plate the fish and greens, squeeze lemon juice on high of fish, after which high with the crushed tomatoes and garlic. Prime with olives and basil leaves and serve with lemon slices, if desired.
Baking sheet, parchment or foil, fork or masher