Ahoy there, Seafoodies!
Let’s take a journey to the center of any fisherman’s kitchen and revisit a timeless basic—New England-Type Clam Chowder! We imagine this hearty soup is an excellent companion for any season, however particularly throughout these early fall or spring days when there’s nonetheless a nip within the air. Clam Chowder is a celebration of juicy clams, chunky potatoes, aromatic greens and a broth that’s nothing wanting heavenly. What’s to not love?!
Now, right here’s a pleasant Dish on Fish twist: to take pleasure in this decadent meal each day—we’ve crafted a lightened-up chowder with out compromising on style. Through the use of low-fat milk, you’ll be able to savor each spoonful guilt-free. We’ve additionally created a wealthy texture by partially puréeing the simmered potato-vegetable combination, eliminating the necessity for heavy cream. We all know chowder lovers have sturdy opinions about consistency, some favoring a stick-to-your-ribs stew, whereas others lean in direction of a lighter soup. The great thing about this recipe? You’ll be able to tailor it to your style, and it’s wonderful irrespective of the way you mix it!
Earlier than we get boiling, let’s discuss in regards to the stars of the present… clams. No shock, however we like them! Hold a number of cans of clams in your pantry and also you’re simply moments away from including a burst of taste and diet to soups, pastas and dips. After all, we’ve a gentle spot for recent clams too—simply soak them for 20 minutes and steam till they open. The secret’s to not overcook them, and most recipes, together with this one, recommend including clams towards the top of the general cooking time.
Other than being solely luxurious, clams are additionally dietary superstars! Like their shellfish cousins within the mollusk household, clams are lean imply protein machines, packing a punch of vitamins. A mere 3-ounce serving of clams delivers a formidable quantity of brain-boosting vitamin B-12, two-thirds of your every day iron quota for sustained vitality, and a wholesome dose of immune-boosting champions like selenium, vitamin C and zinc. They’re additionally a terrific supply of magnesium, potassium and inflammation-fighting omega-3s, all contributing to your total optimum wellness.
And with this chowder, you’re not solely treating your style buds but additionally assembly the really useful 2 to three servings of seafood per week, as really useful by the Dietary Pointers for People. So, seize your oyster crackers, a hunk of crusty bread or perhaps a bread bowl, and let’s dive into this comforting delight!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 celery stalks, finely diced
- ¾ cup low-fat milk
- ¾ cup half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 2 (10-ounce) cans chopped clams in clam juice (juice reserved)
- 1½ cups hen broth
- 1 lb. russet or Yukon potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and minimize into ½-inch cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon smoked salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (or to desired style)
- Crusty sourdough bread or oyster crackers, as accompaniment
- Warmth olive oil in a Dutch oven or massive pot over medium warmth. Add onion and celery; sauté till greens are tender and translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Whereas greens are cooking, put milk, half-and-half and flour right into a medium bowl and blend till mixed.
- Add milk combination, reserved clam juice, broth, potatoes, bay leaf, smoked salt and pepper to pot. Carry to a simmer, scale back warmth to medium-low and cook dinner, stirring typically, till potatoes are fork-tender and the soup thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Take away bay leaf. Partially mix the soup utilizing an immersion blender; puree till soup reaches desired consistency.
- Add clams and cook dinner for an additional 2 to three minutes, or till clams are agency and cooked by.
- Serve chowder with crusty sourdough bread or oyster crackers.
- Prep Time: 20
- Prepare dinner Time: 25
- Class: Clams
Key phrases: Clams, Clam Recipes, Soup, New England-Type Clam Chowder
Should you’re hungry for extra incredible seafood recipes like this one, be sure you obtain our Dish on Fish e-cookbook, “On a regular basis Seafood Recipes.“