Combining plantain and cheese in recipes is as widespread a mix in my house nation of Venezuela as pb & j. There’s one thing so scrumptious in regards to the sweetness of a ripe plantain and the salty, melted goodness of cheese and I after all needed to create a vegan recipe for you!
This straightforward vegan and gluten free appetizer or snack is ideal to move round at a celebration and you can also make so many upfront and easily re-heat them within the oven or air fryer earlier than serving.
They’re an important child pleasant recipe, each by way of style and texture, but additionally by way of giving them a straightforward activity that will help you out within the kitchen. It is so enjoyable to form these little balls and fill them with the cheese.
Though they make the proper straightforward vegan snack or appetizer, they’re additionally an important choice for a singular facet dish, and so they’re really easy to make.
When you’ve by no means cooked with plantains earlier than, this can be a very straightforward plant based mostly recipe to get began with. You will want ripe plantains for this (the inexperienced type will not work), and the recipe gives you directions for making these within the oven or the air fryer.
I hope you’re keen on them! Please benefit from the recipe, printable and video beneath!
PLANTAIN AND CHEESE BALLS
Yield: 12-14 balls | Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook dinner time: 38 minutes (principally unattended) | Gluten Free
- 3 ripe yellow plantains (strive getting some which have some black spots on the pores and skin)
- 12-14 cubes of vegan cheese that melts or 4 slices, piled up and sliced into squares
- Salt and pepper to style
- Oil for brushing, or some spray oil
Provided that wanted: floor flaxseeds (provided that your plantains are overly ripe and the combination is just too gentle)
1. Peel the plantains and reduce every of them into a number of giant items.
2. Add them to a pot of salted, boiling water and boil for quarter-hour.
3. Drain the plantains nicely from the liquid and place them in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, mash with a fork and style, adjusting the seasoning as wanted.
4. If the combination feels too gentle and prefer it will not maintain its form you possibly can add a pinch of floor flaxseeds till the combination is firmer (however that is hardly ever the case as plantains have lots of construction).
5. Pre-heat the oven to 435ºF (225ºC) and transfer the oven rack one notch increased than the middle of the oven. Line a shallow baking sheet with parchment paper and brush or spray some oil on it.
6. Add a little bit of oil to the palm of your arms and take a little bit of the mashed plantain, place the cheese within the heart and shut the mashed plantain over the cheese and roll till you will have a ball (roughly the dimensions of a meatball).
7. Proceed the method till you have used up all of your mashed plantain and cheese and place the balls in your greased, parchment lined baking sheet.
8. Roast the plantain balls for 20-22 minutes or till golden and charred on the backside (if you’d like extra of a light-weight golden coloration, flip them midway by way of).
9. Allow them to cool barely and revel in!
Air fryer directions (though you may get much less of the charred impact):
Air fry the balls at 400ºF (200ºC) for 15-20 minutes or till golden.
You may also like…
Our Program and Programs
Do not miss our weekly goodies!
Our greatest FREE content material straight to your inbox